Nomination packages are mailed to every eligible school in February and a deadline is set for the first week of April. Please bring the nomination package to your next staff meeting and share it with all of your grade 9 educators, resource teachers and guidance counselors so that they can participate in the nomination process. Catapult could be a life changing experience for one of your school’s students.
To be eligible, nominees must:
1 – be entering grade 10 in September
2 – demonstrate leadership potential
3 – face barriers to develop leadership
Leadership Potential Examples
– Leadership in-class (willing to share ideas in class, takes the lead in small group work, advocates for others, volunteers to help teacher or peers etc.)
– Leadership outside of class (supportive and engaged with groups, looked up to by others, others seek council from them etc.)
– Leadership at home (typically adult responsibilities such as care taker role, preparing most meals for the family, helping siblings with homework, putting siblings to bed, working to aid in family income etc.)
– Leadership in self (handling conflict, negotiating, making good decisions in bad circumstances)
Facing Barriers Examples
– Economics – there are limited or no funds available to participate in activities the student wishes to join
– Family Issues – disruptive home situations, health issues with parents or siblings, adult responsibilities due to family need (care taker, working to support family, conducts typically adult chores etc.)
– Lack of Role Models/Guidance – no consistent adult in their life, family/role models involved in criminal activity, support network without knowledge or resources to assist with future focused activities (post-secondary planning, job readiness etc.)
– Geographic Isolation – no transit available to get to activities, limited outside of school activities available due to lack of programs/facilities, lack of school team options due to low population etc.
– Challenges Associated with Minorities – discrimination, exclusion, lack of knowledge/support for culture, language barriers etc.
Nominate a deserving student to take part in this life-changing experience at Acadia University! You can download our forms and submit them to Catapult:
PLEASE MAIL, FAX OR EMAIL YOUR COMPLETED NOMINATION TO:
Catapult Leadership Society
201 Philip Drive
Fall River, NS
ALL NOMINATIONS AND INFORMATION THEREIN WILL BE KEPT STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. UNSUCCESSFUL NOMINATIONS WILL BE SHREDDED
“Why my teacher nominated me to attend Catapult, I’m still not sure, but she must have seen something in me that I didn’t. When I showed up at camp, I was less than excited to be there. But when I started talking to people and listening to speakers, I started to feel a responsibility to be better and to do better. Looking back now, it’s clear that Catapult was the “TSN Turning Point” of not only my teenage years, but my life.”
~ Jeremy, Catapult 2010